InsideMed is a free mentoring programme, aimed at students starting their A-Level studies that are considering applying to study MedicineRelevant to: Admin & Clerical
Inside Med is a free long term mentoring programme, aimed at Year 12 students from state schools in Southwark and Lambeth who are considering applying to study Medicine in the near future. The scheme was set up by a group of medical students on committee of the Extended Medical Degree Programme (EMDP) in June 2017, who recognised there was a significant barrier presented to students from outreach backgrounds when it comes to accessing useful guidance and resources for approaching medical applications.
The aim of this programme is to provide students from outreach backgrounds with advice, guidance and encouragement necessary for the long - and extremely competitive - journey to medical school. We aim to create an alumni of InsideMed mentors and mentees who can continue ensuring equal opportunities to those from outreach socioeconomic backgrounds.
The programme is aimed at:
- Academically able students, who are intent on applying to study medicine
- They must also be studying both Biology and Chemistry at A Level
- We are targeting students at state schools, in our local boroughs of Southwark and Lambeth
What is included in the programme:
- Small families of 4 local sixth formers and 2 current medical students
- Monthly face to face meetings, at our Guy's Campus
- Online support and communication with mentors through the Brightside platform
- Larger group events consisting of:
- Meet the Doctor session
- Study skills workshop
- Learning clinical skills in medicine
- Structured and regular small group support to cover the following topics over the course of the academic year
- An overview of what medical school entails & goal setting
- Personal statements
- Interviews advice and mock Multi Mini Interviews
- Work experience advice (&working on the possibility of providing experience
How can you apply?
Applications for this year are now closed and will reopen in August 2019